Saturday, September 01, 2007

September

reines claudes anf figues.JPG

There is something in the air today. The first funghi - the heavy hooded 'cèpes' the matrons of the mushroom kingdom; the feather-lite saffron fans of the 'chanterelles'; the ominous black bugles of the 'trompettes de mort' - are sidling up out of the earth to join the late tomatoes - streaked and misshapen, red, black, green and purple like so many bruises. Similarly, their is a crisp messenger riding on the hot balloon of summer air, and skin and wool fight to be closest to the wind.

The pool has closed, my last laps swum under departing swifts, and I can almost feel my body melting into winter dough. The wood is ordered and, despite the twenty seven degrees and available peaches, the recipe books are falling open at hearty stews.


first funghi.JPG

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

You take the most beautiful pictures of produce.

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favourite things about Autumn, and one of the things I look forward to most, is the way you write about it. It is my preferred season and the one during which I blossom, and you always sum it all up so beautifully. I can smell the air and taste the cèpes! I can't wait for a post about courges and pumpkins (with pictures if poss!)
Kate xx

5:27 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

Thank you Kate. how lovely to hear from you! Just thinking about you other day. Must be the autumnal connection!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah Mackenzie said...

You just reminded me – we must order wood. We spent out first winter in France scavenging wood from wherever we could find it. We didn't know that it would not be available all year round. Surely someone is missing a trick there – 365/24/7 wood!

Our biggest load came from a closed down petrol station (it really had been abandoned) and boy, we filled every inch of our tiny car, almost burying our child in the process and then we did a very happy sailor's hornpipe all the way home.

I'm sort of looking forward to winter this year. Last year we escaped to Asia for the duration. That was hard.

Oh well... I like hearty stews at least and open fires... the wood the wood

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home