Tuesday, May 01, 2007

chamber music

morandi_427

The first rehearsal day did not start well for the Morandi Ensemble. Impatient to impress the girls, I cruised, ‘décapotée’ and décolletée in the mini, past pools of poppies and blue wheat fields, and along the glassy Rhône into Avignon station bursting to share it all with my friends and start our adventure. ‘Three girls, three fiddles, a few pairs of pumps and a toothbrush or two’ I had thought to myself as, setting off only hours it seemed after I had finished my last job, I looked at the compact but well designed motor.

I beamed at my quartet as they waddled down the slope exhausted from a week’s work and a dawn start on the TGV. Lagging behind them on strained forearms and strapped to their backs were giant suitcases, computer bags, double instrument cases, extra bow tubes…..I had brought the wrong car. The roof did not shut, the girls sat crossly on top of each other, instruments poking up at the sky, and I blushed et the steering wheel as I prolonged their discomfort for the next hour. In the village there wasn’t even room to add a baguette for their breakfast tartine.

Julian could not cope with the onslaught and, exhausted from making a sudden mass order of prints till three in the morning, he was in a black mood. As the girls fell out of the car he practically ran down the hill with his coffee cup in hand. I found myself not only trying to show them the house and make them coffee but also realising that the shops shut in three seconds and we had nothing to eat. Furious at the apparent lack of support I gave my colleagues a quick Pavoni masterclass and drove the mini, now with some space in it, down to Bedoin.

Eventually the music stands stretched out their limbs, instruments were released from their boxes and we started work. And we didn’t stop until, eight hours later, Julian, recovered now and at his most charming, had assembled a feast of all the delicious fresh local produce – sweet waxy Normoitier potatoes, broad beans, peas, asparagus, a dinasour old variety tomato, fresh tuna and gariguette strawberry-flavoured strawberries – I had been dying to share on the table and we fell to eating drinking and laughing together. Haydn’s opus 20 quartets had worked their magic on us all. Julian had even had live entertainment to which he could hum while he worked his poppy field.

The quartet consisted of four women and, even though we are all outwardly strong in our professional lives, it was good to find our true creative voices. So used to following and caring for ‘The Other’ - from section leaders through conductors to partners – we seemed to be reclaiming something old and passionate together and with it creating something new. Even though we had only played together for two days we took risks in the concerts, dared to take unrehearsed paths through the score. The part of me that defers to Julian (much to his annoyance) with ‘Darling shall we take this road? or Shall I call so and so?’ instead of taking responsibility for herself had been banished at last. I hoped she would stay banished.

During the rehearsals we worked largely on creating an accompaniment that can allow a melody to soar. It is a common mistake, if a passage is not working, to concentrate on the tune rather than trying to provide a bass line and inner parts from which the melody can soar. We didn’t always manage it but sometimes we did and it was magic. It’s like basing a soup on a really good stock instead of trying to add seasoning.

With my beloved driving us in style here and there through the fresh green and meadow flowers, with him making stews and salads for us, above all with him witnessing our rehearsals, and hearing me for the very first time in chamber music practically at bow’s length, with him at last being part of what I usually go away to do, I had found my bass line and my inner parts and I started to soar.

‘We really must finish your room’ he said the next morning. ‘There’s not much to do’.
My heart leaped with the excitement at my space suddenly being a priority.

‘Shall I close the roof on the car before we go for our walk?' I asked 'It looks like it might rain?’

As we pumped the juice, Julian hummed something wild and unrecognisable in triplets. We figured out after thirty minutes that it was the cello tune in the slow movement. He too had started to soar with the music, composing an entirely new variation.

'No, it'll be fine'

It rained, of course.

The day after more poppy fields appeared like cloaks of water-silk dropped from the sky and still quivering from the descent. We cut a swathe through them on our bicycles. I was happier than I had been in years.


P1000945.JPG

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful, Ruth. This will get me through rehearsal tonight. I hope.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Anne and Kirk said...

So glad we could be there for the concert - we've been talking about that lovely evening and your wonderful music ever since!
Anne

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the photos, especially the 'above' shot of the quartet. The colors are so rich and the light just perfect...almost has a feeling of Vermeer.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

I'm late to the party, as I seem always to be these days, but -- how wonderful!!!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Peter (the other) said...

It is going a bit long, and your writing is one of my most special, private pleasures. Whenever... ?

8:19 PM  
Blogger anno domini said...

This post is a joy! thank you.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home