Saturday, March 10, 2007

the ipod and the axe

I have fallen in love with Brahms all over again. Like the soppy seventeen year old in shocking pink and a SOD SCHOOL badge, I am filling my personal space with his music. Then, his complete chamber music would emerge via the scratchy needle of my grandmother's textured pink gramophone and the only other records I loved were A Star Is Born and Saturday Night Fever. Now, of course my horizons have broadened somewhat and, rather than soppy love songs called Evergreen and How Deep is Your Love, I am listening on an ipod and through the perspective of Bach, Handel and Rameau, Haydn and Mozart. What strikes me most from this perspective is how classical Brahms is and how, when we feel most scattered, how beautiful the continuum of life.

This post illustrates my point more beautifully than I can.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Oui , Brahms , schubert ...
Le Rêve !

Mais je reste fidèle à mon grand amour :JS Bach !

6:43 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

jean - c'est le plus grand amour. c'est mon plus grand amour.

7:09 PM  
Blogger granny p said...

Not so sure. But the clarinet quintet - and some of the piano music - and the songs - oh and the Deutsche Requiem...(Sorry; can't do it in French. In Spanish - El sueno? - actually it needs the n with the little squiggle and can't do it on this. So no. Just BRAHMS!

(Did the tiling get done?)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

The G major sextet and the second symphony do it for me every time.

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home