Thursday, March 03, 2005

mac2mac

8am:
Two bleary eyed hung-over people descend in grubby bath-robes to the pierres (a little bit too) apparentes kitchen of their provencal mas. Their heads are full of blogging, html, movable type and adsl and they are winging their way to the kitchen table where they sit mac to mac for the next 13 hours. Jewel, Kate Rusby, Handel and rather a lot of homespun humming provide the background music to THE CONVERSATION:


"that's how Howard does it then..."
(freshly squeezed juice)
"oh no, couldn't connect to coquette"
(Coffee)
"he doesn't put his sizes in at all!"
(Second coffee)
"i want to go to petite's party"
(Soup)
"oh bugger"
(First glass of wine from the cubi)
"a restaurant in marseille!"
(Julian's amazing home made Vindaloo)
(Fourteenth glass of wine)
"Send me an email darling and i will get you a gmail invite"
(Hot chocolate)
"if it's true I'm nearly finished!"
"goodnight darling"
"goodnight"

It's not too far off how we've been living - what with my new found joy in blogging and the infinite redesign of Julian's website. Although the line about gmail is pretty sexy in a sad way, where has all the romance gone?

Like two parents trying to look after their children, we have decided on a set of three ground rules to try and bring it back:

1. No computers on the table at mealtimes.
2. A walk with the cats every morning after juice and before coffee.
3. A bottle of wine ONLY between us : two glasses for me and three for him.

I'll keep you posted.



ps thank you my boyfriend is a... for letting me know I am not alone in a conversationless world

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have conversations like this (mac to pc though) and sometimes, and I'm embarrassed to admit this, we "talk" via MSN Messenger. I saw your photos on Flickr - where you live looks wonderful.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth. I'm not sure of the blogging etiquette regarding answering questions, where to post...so my apologies if this is the wrong place? December seemed like an endless round of children's activites (there are 3 of them) so I didn't get out on my own account really. Do let me know next time you are due to play here though. I have just got back from my first bicycle ride (to and from my yoga class, 10 minutes each way) and I'm in one piece, not too saddle-sore and raring to go again.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Steve Merrow-Smith said...

try messengering from different rooms and get the flirting going... as in Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton in "Something's Gotta Give".

what are you wearing sort of stuff.. pervy? I like to think so!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

If I had a laptop, I imagine that Paul and I might be doing the same thing, though as he (and the cats) are fond of blogging in our bed, we might all end up there. Now wouldn't that be romantic... propped up on the pillows, side by side, occasionally saying "what? show me" when the other one snorted at something.

And, ummm, you walk your cats? Walking dogs I understand, but cats? Please elaborate.

4:33 AM  
Blogger ruth said...

mmmm all sounds very sexy indeed. pimping my blog in bed whilst interrogating my laptopped hub on msn about the degree of nudity wots going on underneath the sheets. we'll give it a go! or perhaps we'll just put the damd things away and take the cats for a walk.

2:36 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

mmmm all sounds very sexy indeed. pimping my blog in bed whilst interrogating my laptopped hub on msn about the degree of nudity wots going on underneath the sheets. we'll give it a go! or perhaps we'll just put the damd things away and take the cats for a walk.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home